Copy & Paste in Excel Tutorial
Excel - Copy & Paste
You can easily copy and paste any text in MS
Excel based on different ways.
- First, you have to select the cell or cells from where
you want to copy the content. To copy, press Ctrl + C on the
keyboard or right click and select the copy option from the
- Next, choose the cell where you want to paste the
content copied earlier. To paste, press Ctrl + V on the keyboard
or right click and select the paste option from the list.
The above-explained method can be used to copy all types of
content including text, formula, values, comments etc and if
there is any content in the cells, the new content will overwrite
it. If you want to revert, just press Ctrl + Z.
Copy Paste using Office Clipboard
Everything that you copy in Microsoft Excel saves into the
Windows and Office Clipboard.. You can paste this content anytime
without needing to copy again and paste it in the desired cells.
Go to Home -> Clipboard to view the content in the Clipboard.
Copy Paste in Special way
This option is useful when you do not want to copy
everything from the cell or cells like you may want to copy only
the format of the cells or values only.
Clicking the paste special option will open the following
list of options: .
- All: This option pastes everything
including the formats, values, formulas etc that is stored in
the Windows Clipboard.
- Formulas: This option paste only
formulas by keeping cells format as unchanged.
- Values: This option paste only the
values contained in the cells.
- Formats: This option paste the format
of the copied cell.
- Comments: This option is especially for
pasting comments in the desired cells.
- Validation: This option will paste only
the validation that is applied on particular cells.
- All using source theme: This option is
used for replicating the formatting and pasting the formulas in
the desired cell.
- All except borders: This option paste
the content as it is in the desired cell leaving the border.
- Column Width: This option is used to
get the same column width in the desired cells along with
- Formulas & Number Formats: This
option is used to paste the formulas and the number format
applicable of the copied cells.
- Values & Number Formats: This
option allows you to figures of formula results in copied cells.
- Merge Conditional Formatting: This
option is applicable when conditioning formatting is applied to
the cells to be copied. It combines the conditional formatting
of the copied cells with that of the desired cells where data is
to be pasted.
- Transpose: This option allows you to
paste the data from multiple columns in the form of rows in
desired and vice versa.